Jun 14, 2015

A Rooster's Reminder

Adjacent to our mobile home park is a closed-down airport. A few small businesses now occupy the deserted hangers, one of which is a feed store which sells live poultry and other farming needs. On my early morning walks down the once used runway, invariably I'll hear the crow of an old rooster. Each time I hear it, I'm reminded of my childhood visits to my grandparents' home in Kentucky.

I believe Peter had a similar experience each time he heard the crow of a rooster, but without the sweet memories I cherish, his being bitter rather than delightful. That is, except for the fact of his heartfelt repentance and his Lord's merciful forgiveness, which gave him the victory. But still, his glorious restoration did not do away with that awful reminder that popped up from time to time.

Some of us are also reminded periodically of shameful things we have done against our dear Lord in the past. But although, like Peter, we cannot rid ourselves of the reality of those things which remind us, we can deny them the right of recognition. Or as my granny would say, "You can't stop the birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from roosting in your hair."       

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...