Jan 1, 2011

*Mother’s Last Words

My saintly Mother went to be with the Lord at the age of ninety-four. As she lay upon the last bed she will ever lie in, she looked up at me with those hazel-green eyes and said, “Son, keep doing what you have always been doing.” I’m sure you agree, last words can mean a lot.

These past few years since her Home going, I’ve had opportunity to meditate often on her words. I have come to believe she was telling me three things in the context of her admonition. 1) She approved of my life, and how I was living it. 2) She was telling me not to change anything. In other words, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” 3) And lastly, she wanted me to emulate her philosophy of living for God, “Keep on keeping on.”

This brings me to an inspirational thought I had this morning. Why is it we are so insistent on always changing? Change has to do with direction, growth with continuation. To constantly be doing the former is no compliment to one’s life. In fact the scripture warns about the type of person given to change (Pro. 24:21). Whereas the latter denotes continuation in direction, gaining ground as we travel on. But with change you end up always standing around the “starting line.” You’ll get nowhere by living by this rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...