Jun 3, 2011

Heavy Hearts

“I have great heaviness...in my heart.” The apostle who said he was a man “of like passions,” knew what it was like to carry a heavy heart for his kin. We, who are burdened down with concern for our loved ones’ Spiritual condition, will not only find solace from Paul, but other Bible saints.

Godly Esther cried out, “For how can I endure to see the destruction of my kindred?” Tender-hearted David, speaking of his wayward son, said, “Deal gently for my sake with the young man.” Rahab pleaded, “...show kindness unto my...father, and my mother, and my brethren, and my sisters, and all that they have.” And who can forget the deep anguish of Job, the bereaved father? “Oh that I were as...when my children were about me.”

Our Lord knows what it is to have rebellious children (Isa.1:2); an unfaithful mate, resulting in divorce (Jer.3:8); loved ones who are unbelievers (Jno.7:5); and all the other heartbreaking experiences that may result from family situations. Because of this, we are told we have a High Priest who is touched by the feelings of our infirmities.

If the Lord has any children who are not exercised with spiritual temptations, I am sure that they are poorly qualified to “speak a word in season to them that are weary.” (John Newton)

                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...