Jun 8, 2012

A Delightful Day

It was June 8, 1958. They were singing a song of invitation. Mark Andrews, my Air Force buddy from Korea, who had gotten saved, and then been instrumental in my conversion (as well as my mother’s), was visiting, and standing next to me. I knew from the day of my salvation, God wanted me to preach, but was always fearful to make it known. We were standing in the back row of the church. Some 800 people were there that day. As they sang, I whispered to Mark, “I believe God has called me to preach, but I can’t speak well before people.” My dear friend said nothing. He simply put down his songbook, took up his Bible, and turned to Exodus 4:10-12. Then he handed it to me, saying, “Read this.”

“And Moses said unto the Lord, O my Lord, I am not
 eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken
 unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow
tongue. And the Lord said unto him,Who hath made man’s
mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing,
 or the blind? have not I the Lord? Now therefore go, and I
will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.”

Needless to say, that was all it took. I went forward, took my pastor’s hand, and told him God had called me to preach. It has now been fifty-four years since that memorable day, and I’ve never regretted my decision once. There have been dark, dark times; but the good ones have shone so brightly, they made me forget most of bad ones. Multiplied hundreds have been saved, countless Christians have had their lives turned around, and scores of young people have entered the ministry.

Dear Lord, thank you for Your call upon my life, and thank you for bringing Mark into it at the two most important times—at my conversion and my call. Wherever he is, whatever he may be doing, give him an extra blessing today, just for me. Thank you. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...