Mar 3, 2018

The Last Leaf


“...as the leaf falleth off from the vine...we all do fade as a leaf...as a leaf...the wind, [has] taken us away.”
(Isa. 34:4 ;64:6)

I read something recently that brought to my mind an incident that took place in my second pastorate. One fall day I was lying on a couch resting for our Wednesday evening service. As I stared out the window I noticed on the giant oak tree in our front yard a lone leaf left on the tree. I remember distinctly saying to myself, “Someday that will be me.”

Well, that day has come, I am now alone, all my immediate family, on my side, have fallen into the ground and died. Mother, father, sister, and others, all gone. I only am left, awaiting that one last strong wind to do its job. I know not the time or day that gust of wind will come, but I do know I am ready. That is, as ready as an old redeemed sinner can be. As David of old, I find myself listening for the “sound of a going in the tops of the mulberry trees” (2 Sam. 5:24).

My question to our readers today is, “Are you ready for that last blast of wind in your life?” It may be sooner than you expect. The clouds may be forming just over the horizon.  Many are too busy living to take time to think about their unenviable departure. As the much quoted saying goes, “You’re not ready to live until you’re ready to die.” Remember, as the old Puritan said, “This world is only a Inn, a place to stop over on our way Home.”

“Will you be homesick in Heaven?”
(rds)



No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...