Feb 16, 2020

GOD IS MY HELPER

"He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear..."
(Heb. 13:5-6)

It is when, "He hath said...[that] "we may boldly say...THE LORD IS MY HELPER." As the old camp meeting preacher said, "God said it, I believe it, and that settles it." I might add, it is still true whether we believe it or not!

There is a text in Psalms 89:9 that has always caught my attention. God, speaking of David says, "I have laid help upon one that is mighty." But studying the context you will see it has a far more reaching interpretation than that of David. It speaks also prophetically of "the greater than David," Who, like David, will be the helper his elect people.

The world says, "God helps those who help themselves." There is some truth in that statement, taken in the right setting. But the Word of God teaches that God helps those who cannot help themselves. The paralytic in John chapter five would give testimony to this fact. When Jesus asked this bedridden man of thirty-eight years if he wanted to be whole, his answer was that he had no one that would help him. But after so long a time he found the One of whom it was written, "I have laid help upon one that is mighty."

O, blessed be God! He can and will get a man or woman back on their feet again; no matter how dire their  helplessness. HE IS THE HELPER OF THE HELPLESS! The only condition is reaching out the hand of faith and saying, with so many found in scripture and in Church history "Lord, help..." 

David said, "The Lord helped me; the Canaanite woman cried out, "Lord, help me"; the apostle Paul gave testimony, "Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day." As the writer of Hebrews says, "And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of...." The list goes on and on. 

My admonition to you who are at this present time in great need of help, is found in the words of the following song:

"It is no secret what God can do

What He's done for others, He'll do for you."

By An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...