Jan 14, 2010

The Good Law of Intent

Some time ago, I brought a series of messages on Romans 8:28 to one of our church’s adult Sunday School classes. At the conclusion, a frail, dear lady asked that I might remember in prayer her married daughter who was bitter over losing her first child. She added she would not listen to anything the mother had to say in way of comfort. I mentioned to her that sometimes, in hard cases, only prayer and fasting are our alternative. She looked at me with tearful eyes and said, “I can’t fast because of my physical condition.”

What does one do in such cases? Well, this is what I believe. And I’ll tell you what I told her. Set aside a day for prayer and fasting and continue to eat what is necessary. God knows what you would do if you could do it, and marks that to your credit. A Christian in a wheelchair who longs to, and would have, run in a marathon to raise money for missionaries, will find that when he or she stands before the Lord, they will have run a good race. It’s important for all of us to remember “…if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.”

The Bible has a principle; I like to call it, “The law of good intent.” David found it to be true when desiring to build the Temple for the Lord, but was told, “Whereas it was in thine heart to build an house unto my name, thou didst well that it was in thine heart. Nevertheless, thou shalt not build the house.”

There are a lot more missionaries on the field than are actually there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...