Feb 8, 2010

The Oblivious Ostriches

The English language is very rich and descriptive. Someone “hiding their head in the sand, like an ostrich” is said to be foolishly ignoring their problem, while hoping it will magically vanish. If this is not picturesque of today’s professing Christians, I don’t know what is. Closing one’s eyes to a problem does not void the problem.

The dilemma I speak of is unanswered prayer. It seems few, if any, are willing to tackle this unmentionable and embarrassing topic today. I most certainly understand prayer is not a magic wand we can wave around at our fancy. Nor do I believe it is like a genie in a bottle to be at my beacon call to fulfill all my fleshly wishes. But God does promise to answer “Big” prayers (Jer.33:3), and we don’t see much of that today, if any! Could Solomon be giving the Church the reason the heavens are brass to it, when he mentions in his prayer to God, “When the heaven is shut up…because they have sinned against thee”? Do you think maybe the whole Church needs to repent? If so, who’s going to go first?

In my opinion, the Church of today is play acting in prayer. Jesus refers to them as people who “for a pretense make…prayers.” I’m speaking of that kind of prayer old Dr. Bob Jones Sr. used to define as real prayer. He said, if he were in a room, with the doors and windows all being locked from the inside, and he prayed and said, “I sure wish I had a sandwich,” and all of a sudden one was in his hand, he’d be a fool not to realize there was an unseen, supernatural presence there with him (Matt.6:6).

When’s the last time any of us made a request that went only from our lips to God’s ear, and we got a Big Mac? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...