Feb 7, 2010

When Off the Plantation

One evening years ago, as a young evangelist, after speaking to a rather large assembly, I was invited to the pastor’s home. He (as I at the time) was associated with an extreme, separatist movement. As the evening wore on the conversation became less general and more personal. It was then he revealed that when visiting New York he would go to see some of the Broadway plays. He went on to say how much he and his wife enjoyed them, and how refreshed they both were upon returning home to Indiana.

Now I have no problem with seeing a good play. I’d like to go myself if I ever visit the “Big Apple.” But I do find disturbing the fact that one who has entered into the glorious liberty that is in Christ Jesus would hide it from others who are living miserable lives in bondage. As they used to say when I was a boy, “What’s good for the goose, is good for the gander.” Many of us are like Peter; we like the Kentucky fried chicken and ham, but go back to the rigid, man-made rules of the legalists once they cast their shadow over us again. You know, the fear of man, and that sort of thing.

Paul said he rebuked Peter (Gal.2:14, context) for his actions, because he was to blame. And so are we, if we allow others to believe we are fellow slaves, but exercise and enjoy liberty when we are off the plantation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...