Apr 3, 2012

But Do You Love Me?

“Jesus saith… lovest thou me?..He saith to him again the second time…lovest thou me?.. He saith unto him the third time…lovest thou me?

Three times at the enemy’s fire, Simon had denied Him, now sitting at the fire Jesus had kindled, he is asked thrice by his Lord, “Lovest thou me?” Peter’s great doctrinal confession of faith, “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God,” is now complete with this great devotional statement of faith, “I love thee.” The two have met together and kissed each other. (Psl.85:10)

It seems to me, for all practical purposes, Jesus likes to be told He’s loved. It is not to be taken for granted, as we often do with loved ones. For we also, like Simon, when asked by a family member or friend, “Do you love me? answer, “You know I love you.” God’s darling David did not have this problem, “I love the Lord,” was his unblushing testimony for all to hear and read!

And what is to be the proof of Simon Peter’s love to Christ? That he takes care of both God’s lambs (young) and sheep (mature). Paul writes believers of his day admonishing them to prove their love, and explains the proof is seen when taking care of each other. Is this not our Lord’s teaching when He said, “Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me?”

“Believest thou me” is the base of the mountain; “Lovest thou me” is the pinnacle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...