Apr 5, 2012

Child-Like Forgiveness

“Except ye…become as little children.” Years ago, while in my early twenties, and before my conversion to Christ, I studied acting for a brief time at a dramatic school in Los Angeles. One of the principles my drama coach emphasized was that an actor should have the head of an adult but the heart of a child. One class assignment was to observe and study the habits of children.

Among the many characteristics that little children have and has always moved me, especially now that I am converted, is how forgiving they are. As a father of four, I remember when my children were still little tykes, and I would have to ask their forgiveness for dumb things I had done or said. Each time, I remember those little innocent faces looking up to me, and with their assuring, childish words letting me know all was well.

Maybe it is time for some of us parents who have now been asked for our forgiveness by our children to “Go, and do thou likewise.” Yes, they are grown now and responsible for what they have done, but so were we. What brought us relief and inner joy will bring them the same thing, now that they are in our place as adults. The apostle’s words are appropriate hear: “…ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. Wherefore, I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.”

Repentance can be bitterness to the soul, but the forgiveness that follows makes it sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...