Apr 15, 2012

Have You Done Your Part?

“I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me.” The “which” refers back to the “do.” It is not “who,” as in many translations, but “which,” as in the K.J.V. It is in the doing that we are strengthened. This was Paul’s teaching to young Timothy when he exhorted him to “…exercise thyself…unto godliness.” Anyone who does this will, over time, build spiritual muscle. As the old song puts it, “Each victory will help you some other to win.”

Notice, also, we are to do these things “through Christ.” It is not Christ doing things through us, as is so often taught. You will be hard pressed to find any such Scripture proof. We are to come by way of Him, not vice-versa. Sanctification is cooperation; it’s a two-way street. It is not “I” without “Christ.”  It is not “Christ,” without “I.” It is “I” with “Christ.” (Martyn Lloyd-Jones)

Many Christians today have become spiritually syrupy in their Christian walk. It seems, with all the talk about the deeper, victorious, overcoming life, we have lost our way. J.I. Packer said,” I have found the best way to face temptation is to simply say, “No,” and ask Christ to help me to keep saying it till it passes.

If you do your part, you can be sure God will do His.

                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...