May 16, 2018

Unworthy Comparison

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”
Rom. 8:18

During my wife’s battle with cancer this past year, my precious daughter Leah traveled from Kentucky to be with her at the beginning, staying a month; my son Andrew who lives over an hour away tried to visit weekly as he was able (he travels as a speaker). His wife Sharon came with him as circumstances permitted; during the last few days she stayed by her and my side around the clock. In past years she herself was a Hospice nurse. Hospice came usually once a week, sometimes twice. But generally speaking, I was her main caregiver 24/7. I saw and heard things others did not. It was a difficult time; she knew that and would put those frail arms around me and comfort me with a hug.


Salle had just one chemo treatment, and that sent her to the hospital for a week. I stood by her bedside watching her groan as she vomited incessantly, almost the entire seven-day period. Then, when coming home,  ten long months observing her hurt and listening to the painful moaning throughout the night hours. We prayed, but still little relief. I tried my best, but that was not good enough; it was out of my hands. As Mary of old when watching her dear Son suffer, I also stood helpless as, “a sword pierced my soul.” There were a few screams, a lot of groans and moans, but never a complaint! Her only question was, “Why doesn’t the Lord take me?”


I have said all the above to say this, “I am not as spiritual as some think. Nor am I as spiritual as I’d like to think.” I am a human being in whom God has been pleased to make His abode. Praise His Name! But in spite of my Divine tenant who is always willing, I remain weak. I have experienced questions, doubts, and fears. There have been long intervals of “leaning on my own understanding.” But to His praise I can testify, “out of them all, the Lord delivered me.” One of the great truths the blessed Spirit of God revealed to me during this time of turmoil was our main text, quoted above. To compare our sufferings now with the glory that awaits us, is an “unworthy” exercise of heart and mind. While this world is weighed down by sin, God’s people are going to be “weighed down by glory!” I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO CARRY SUCH A BURDEN!  I know Salle is enjoying bearing hers.


“One glimpse of His dear face, all sorrows will erase.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...