Mar 7, 2020

LEARNING FROM OUR AND OTHERS’ AFFLICTION

"And unto Abiathar the priest said the king [Solomon]...
thou hast been afflicted in all wherein my father [David] was afflicted."
(1Kgs. 2:26)

Afflictions come to all God's elect, whether a king and leader as David, or a faithful follower as Abiathar, a priest; none are exempt, including the Man Christ Jesus, Isa. 53 :7. The question is: have we learned anything from our own or others’ afflictions? 

Old Dr. Bob Jones Sr. used to say, "No matter how bad or bitter the experience, if we learn from it we will be the wiser." The first thing to ask ourselves in our or anothers affliction is, "What lesson is in this for me? What is God teaching me?" Some learn nothing. (Ezk. 23:11- see context).

David said, "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn..." (Psa. 119:71) In my study, I was amazed at how often the word “afflicted” and its like is used in Psalms as well as throughout the rest of scripture. When held in the stocks of affliction, it is only human to wish things were otherwise. At such times, God does not ask us to feel everything is for the best, but He does expect us to believe it! 

Andrew A. Bonar wrote, "We have got more from Paul's prison-house than from his visit to the third heaven." He goes on to say, "It is worthwhile being wounded to have the hands of the Great Physician upon you." 

"I have learned more about scriptural truths, as well as life itself, from a saint in a wheelchair than any scholar in an armchair . "
(rds)

By An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...