Sep 22, 2020

JESUS' ANSWER TO A FRUITLESS LIFE

"He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit ... Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit"
(Jn. 15:5,8)

The Lord's Supper being ended, the cross awaiting Him, and knowing it is the eve of His departure, He speaks the last of the seven "I AM'S" as recorded in John's gospel. Interestingly the subject He chooses to speak to His followers about before leaving this world is having a fruitful life. In this chapter He puts the emphasis on their bringing forth "much fruit." I'm of the opinion this fruit embraces more than souls. I think of it as taking in all "the fruits of righteousness," in a saint's life. Phil. 1:11, "Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God."

Many speak of "abiding in Him" if we are to be fruitful in our lives; this is certainly essential, but there was something else He spoke to them of earlier concerning "much fruit," which is  just as needful. The exact term, "much fruit,"  is found only three times in the Bible, all of them in John's book. The statement I refer to that was spoken previously is found in chapter twelve, verse twenty-four. "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of  wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit." 

There is a vast difference between "Loving life, as Peter mentions, 1 Pet. 3:10, and loving your life, Jn. 12:25. Those stalwart saints who manifested "Much fruit," in their lives didn't hold to that life! "But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus," Acts 20:24. Compare this with Rev. 12:11, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death." 

"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS"... says our Master! Then He goes on by mentioning giving one's life for others. Only by dying to self can others be helped.

"It is never too late to bear fruit in one's life."
"They shall still bring forth fruit in old age."
(Psa. 92:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...