Aug 23, 2017

Now and Then

AM I ANY DIFFERENT?

I have thought during this time of grievance, other good and godly men have lost wives, am I any different? The answer I come up with is an emphatic, YES! Other men were not blessed or privileged to be married to this rare gem. When I would be courting her, which went on for some 56 years, I would sing in the car to her the popular song of a few years past, “You’re just too good to be true.” If I told you of all her exceptional attributes, I doubt most would believe them. To mention just one, in all our years of married life she never ever said no to me, on any occasion. See, I told you.

IT HAS BEEN TWO WEEKS NOW SINCE SALLE’S HOMEGOING

During the past fourteen days I have passed through some difficult as well as blessed times. Some of the descriptive words would be: sad-elated; regret-rejoicing;  fearfulness-boldness; doubt-assurance; longing- contentment; hopelessness-cheerfulness; turmoil-peace. One of the things I have always appreciated about Oswald Chambers’ writings, as well as C.S. Lewis, is that they do not attempt to de-humanize the Christian life. Paul told us not to grieve as others, who have no hope. But he did not say not to grieve.

THE FIRST MEMORIAL SERVICE

This Saturday the 26th, at 1:00 p.m. will be the first of two memorial services held for my dear wife. It will be at our home church here in Lodi, California, Temple Baptist. The second in Middletown, Ohio. It will be at Grace Baptist, on Thursday the 5th of October (her birthday), a 6:30 p.m. Please pray for both services. As my daughter Leah said, “We want a sweet, Spirit-filled time.” I am not up on technical terms but think they are going to try to stream it live, for those who cannot attend, athough we do look for a great number of out-of-towners.

SOME HAVE ASK ABOUT OUR WRITING MINISTRY

Soon we will be back in the saddle, so to speak. In recent weeks we have been sending older Journals. But we will be back to those fresh off the press in a week or so, Lord willing. The saying is, Jack of all trades, master of one.” Well, Salle was master of all she put her hand to, one of which was proofreading my articles. As A.W. Tozer, I only attended the ninth grade, but unlike him I am not a wordsmith. I am in the process now of finding someone to pick up Salle’s duties in this area. It is a kind of a on-call-now, type of ministry. That is, as I do them the proofreading needs immediate attention.

MY HEALTH

I have several upcoming tests at the V.A. the next couple of months. Enlarged aortic aneurysm, endoscopy for bleeding stomach, cat-scan to check some things going on around my heart, and liver problems. Other than these, I’m as healthy as a sick horse. My son Andrew along with his wife Sharon, take real good care of this old disciple. Sharon was previously a nurse. Does not God look ahead for us?

Blessed Words, “And it came to pass.”


Brother Sandlin

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...