Aug 20, 2017

Ripe For the Pickin

Some of the definitions the dictionary gives for the word ripe are: ready to harvest; sufficient age; fully developed; mature; seasoned; mellow. As we grow older in the Lord these synonyms ought to characterize our lives.

Billy Graham’s third daughter, Ruth, has written a book entitled, Things I Learned from My Father. In describing the change the years have brought to his life she writes, “I am much more warmed by the embers than I ever was by the fire.” She goes on to quote what her father’s pastor used to say to him on various occasions, “Billy, the older you get the more like yourself you become.”

When I was just a young convert and dismayed with my spiritual development, my brother-in-law gave me some great words of encouragement. He said, “I’m not what I wanna be; I’m not what I oughta be; I’m not what I’m gonna be; but, thank God, I’m more than I used to be!”


I don’t know about you, but when God calls me home, I want to be ripe for the pickin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...