Mar 21, 2019

BARGAIN BASEMENT BELIEVERS

And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will... I will...”
(Gen. 28:20,22)

As admirable as it may seem at a random first glance, we need  to take a second  look at our text, with some thought. There’s no question it is most commendable to hold up one's end of the bargain in doing right after God honors our promise. But what if He doesn’t come through, so to speak, on our terms? Are we then justified in not doing right? Is it not always right to do right? In all our requests, we should say, “If thou won’t, I will”; that is, if you don’t grant it, I’ll still do right! You can have confidence in knowing that He will always do right toward you, no matter the case.

Know of a certainty we carry within our bosoms the Jacob syndrome when we get into the “Wheel and Deal” business with God. When I was a boy the stores advertised “Bargain Basement Sales.” These special cheap deals were held in the lower level of the store. Whenever a saint tries to bargain with God, he or she is in the basement part of Christianity—the lower level. God is preeminently the deal maker,If thou wilt hearken unto all that I command thee, and wilt walk in my ways, and do that is right in my sight…I will be with thee.” His best deals are on the top floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...