Jun 12, 2019

AN ASTONISHING STATEMENT

Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light.

There is not now or ever been, nor will there ever be, a doctor, psychiatrist, or religious guru who would dare make such an astonishing statement. But this unschooled, simple-living carpenter, from a small town, the son of a humble widow, did!

Whether rest is needed in body or soul, humanity’s Great Physician promises solace to all who are, for lack of a better phrase, just plain worn out from it all.

O weary saint, ask your dear Lord to minister to you. After all, that is why He came, “to minister.” Let us not be so proud or pseudo-spiritual, like Peter of old, that we refuse Him when He desires to wash our tired feet.

Hebrews teaches there is a threefold rest to the people of God; a past, present, and future rest. There is the rest we entered into at salvation. And we will enter into our eternal rest at death’s door (or at His coming). But there is a present rest for all who will enter in by faith.

I find more and more now, not only because of Spiritual weariness from the time in which we live, but because of my age and physical malady, I need more often, like John the beloved, to lay my head on His blessed bosom. What a restful place it is, listening to His heart say, “O, how I love you, my child.”    

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...