Aug 11, 2019

THE ANEMIC CHURCH

For the life of the flesh is in the blood.”
(Lv. 17:11)

Just as the life of the flesh is in the blood, so the lifeblood of the Church is in prayer. I know a little about anemia, being anemic myself. I know what it’s like to have a blood count of eight; the faint feeling, the confusion of mind, and deep depression that accompanies such a condition. I am also familiar with blood transfusions and the radical and marvelous change they bring to the body. It’s wonderful to see those eyelids turn red again.

Any Spirit-filled believer entering an average Bible-believing church today will confess their concern for that particular assembly’s lack of spiritual vitality. Such churches need immediate attention! As my doctor said to me when I asked him the consequence of not having a transfusion, “You die” was his answer. Many churches are ready to die (Rev. 3:2). I have driven past churches that were once lighthouses for God, but now are hog pens. 

The early church put prayer even before the ministry of the Word (Acts 6:4). When Peter was thrown into prison an angel was sent to set him free. The old Puritan said, “The angel fetched Peter but prayer fetched the angel” (Acts 12). Not to belittle preaching in any way but: you can live without preaching, but you can’t live without prayer! The early believers prayed at Pentecost and the power of God came into their lives (Acts 2). This was repeated in chapter 4. I like the term in verse 33, “With great power!”

“If we fell on our knees more we would not fall as often.”
(rds)
An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...