Aug 15, 2019

VARIETY-THE SPICE OF LIFE

“Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."
(Prov. 27:17)

Some years ago, I wrote in an article that I believed in dispensations (within the context of the Bible), but that I was not a “Dispensationalist” (by today’s meaning of the word). A friend sent me four pages of quotes by men of his own theological persuasion. Then he added that I should drop him from my mailing list. To quote his words, “I find whoever one reads after, they soon end up believing what they believe.” You might want to ponder that statement to enjoy the humor in it.

How sad one cannot read contrasting views without fear of becoming a spiritual chameleon. Maybe someone should explain the term subjective/objective, to them. Paul spoke of such saints as being “tossed to and fro.” These intellectually insecure individuals only show that what they profess to believe is just that, a profession. They have never been fully persuaded in their own minds. Cardinal doctrines such as the Blood of Christ, the Bodily Resurrection, New Birth, and Inspiration of the Scriptures should be set in concrete; but all secondary doctrines are to be kept in pliable putty.

As you grow and receive more light on these minor teachings you’ll find it necessary to readjust your thinking and position​ on some things​. That is, if your going to be intellectually and spiritually honest with yourself. ​Nearing ​the age of eighty-six, and being a Christian for some sixty-two years, I am not one of those who boast, “I have not changed my views over these many years.” The truth is, I have changed my thinking on a number of lesser (minor) doctrines.

After reading or debating contrary views​ to your own​, I guarantee you’ll not be as dogmatic as you were before doing so. Don’t let anyone keep you incarcerated within their box of beliefs. Break out of that confinement and find out what YOU believe. Do not be afraid to discuss other views with those of opposing ones. You’re not out to win an argument, but to find the truth! 

"Christians who are one-sided readers can sometimes display a spiritual snobbery."
(rds)
An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...