Jan 17, 2020

EXCEEDING ALL EXPECTATIONS

Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think...Unto him be glory...by Christ Jesus throughout all ages.”
(Eph. 3:20-21)


As I have read through God’s Holy Word over the years there is something that both amazes and blesses me: He is forever exceeding His elect’s expectations! You will be hard pressed, I think, to find an exception. Such things as left-over manna and baskets full of bread, I believe, prove my point.  We love to give good things to our children, says Jesus, but His is on a “how much more,” basis.  


But our gracious and good God not only gives more than we ask, but gives us things that we do not ask for. When David had lost all to the enemy at Ziklag (city burned, families taken captive), he asked God two questions, “And David enquired at the LORD, saying, Shall I pursue after this troop? shall I overtake them? And God answered him, Pursue: for thou shalt surely overtake them, and without fail recover all.” Notice God answered what he didn’t ask. What a wonderful God!


Possibly the very best Bible illustration, as far as I'm concerned, of this great truth is found in the life of Solomon. The Lord told him to ask what he would. In return Solomon requested wisdom that he might lead God’s people.  He looked to God’s interests, seeking first the Kingdom of God. And because of this the Lord said, And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked…” And that, my friend is one of the additives spoken of in Matt. 6:33.


“All we get is not by praying. We often get a great deal we never asked for. There are some blessings that are altogether His giving.”
(Andrew A. Bonar)


By An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...