Jan 28, 2020

THE CROSS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

“...shadows...figure…”
(Heb. 10:1; 11:19)
  The New Testament book of Hebrews speaks of the Old Testament having shadows and figures of what is to come in the New. One of those figures found in the shadows is the Cross of Christ. The Cross was not an afterthought with God, “Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.”  1 Pet. 1:20
  Allow me to list a few of these types you will find in reading through the Old Canon of Scripture: Jacob blesses the two sons of Joseph by laying his hands on each of their heads. He crosses his arms putting his right hand on the head of the second born, thus giving the second birth all the rights, rather than the firstborn; the Passover Lamb’s blood was put on the two side-posts of the door and over the lintel, forming a cross; the heave and wave offerings pictured the cross, up and down, and sideways; the serpent on the pole in Numbers is a picture of the cross, says Jesus; Ruth sleeping crossways at her redeemer’s feet (Boaz) is also a picture of the cross. A Jew and Gentile together; David said, “...they pierced my hands and my feet.” But this type of death was foreign to David at that time, that is the cross. He spoke prophetically.

When I survey the wond'rous Cross
On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God:
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His Hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did ever such love and sorrow meet?
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
(Isaac Watts)
 “God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ.” 

 By An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...