Jul 1, 2020

A Present Reality

"...ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged...God...hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.” 
(Eph. 2:6)

I’ve had little difficulty in my life remembering the hole of the pit I was dug from; my problem is the reality of the heavenly places where I am presently seated. Our text is not a prophecy of something that is going to happen, but an actual event that has already taken place. We are distinctly a heavenly people. Some are concerned about becoming too heavenly minded. Believe me when I say I don’t think today’s Christians need to worry their pretty, little, worldly heads about this happening.

The song says, “This world is not my home, I’m only passing through.” The Scriptures speak of us as sojourners, strangers, and pilgrims. We are a tent people; we have no permanent dwelling place here. Our citizenship and home is in heaven. Therefore, "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."

Once in a while, the reality of this breaks through the outward shell and penetrates to the soul. It is then that the overwhelming sensation of it all leaves us with unspeakable joy. It is what I like to call the firstfruits, a foretaste of what’s coming.


We are now seated there, says the inspired writer. This word denotes rest, as well as completion. May God help each of us to rest in Christ’s finished work. Let us heed the old timers’ invitation to, “Sit down and rest awhile.”


By An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...