Jul 22, 2020

The Sometimes of Life

"The disciples were called Christians first..."
(Acts 11:26)

“Christians first…” I have a little saying: “I’m some things some of the time; but I’m a Christian all the time.” A Christian is a person with many hats but only one head. No matter what head-gear adorns me, under it is always a Christian.

It is important we realize we can only wear one hat at a time. A personal illustration may help here. I used to wear my “preacher’s hat” when I was playing with my children, but what they really wanted was for me to wear the hat that says “Dad” on it. As a result of this, they suffered, getting only a part of me because of my divided mind.

Let’s make sure that the hat we wear for each occasion is appropriate. A football star’s wife doesn’t want him to wear his helmet when he’s taking her for a walk through the park. When we are with a person, we need to be with that person. Make sure you wear the right hat for the right person and occasion.

My mentor, Dr. Joe Henry Hankins, after being introduced would always say the same thing, before he preached. Looking out over the crowd he would say, "Isn't it great being a Christian!"
By An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...