Sep 25, 2017

Did You Forget Something?

I am well aware of how often I call attention to the subheading to our title, The Journal: “Brief, Biblical Essays for Thinking people.” The reason for this is that some years ago I became conscious how God’s people had been sold a bill of goods, buying into it 100%, that real thinkers are to be found only among the educated. Most certainly having both are best, but you can possess the one without the other.

To believe a formal education is necessary to be a thinker one must admit the Lord, who had none, was not a thinker, “And the Jews marvelled, saying, “How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?” You can include the disciples in this also, “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men.” Paul would have been a great thinker had he never set at the feet of Gamaliel.

Recently I saw a plaque that said, “Follow your heart but take your brain with you.” I find far too many Christians forgot to take theirs with them. My wife loved Winnie the Pooh. One of her favorite sayings of his was, “Think, Think, Think.” O, beloved, don’t let someone else do your thinking for you. God gave you a mind, USE IT! Thinking people are threats to tyrants. That is why they try to keep you cowering in a corner, dependent on their brains. Thinkers are always free, even when chained.  

In closing, allow me to give you an illustration of what I believe to be the right balance in what I’ve been discussing. In dealing with my extreme grief, I am reading two books, one to the heart the other dealing with the intellect. Both men lost their wives, and that is what the books are about. The former is by an old country preacher by the name of Vance Havner. It is to the heart and is titled, Though I Walk Through the Valley. The latter by C.S. Lewis, titled A Grief Observed, and it provokes thought. Interestingly the one’s wife was named, Sara, and “Salle" is derived from this name. The second, C.S. Lewis wife, was Joy. You who knew my wife personally are aware she was known as, “Joybell.” I have received great comfort from the one and great insight from the other. I NEED THEM BOTH!

Don’t sacrifice the one for the other, it is not necessary. And it could be dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...