Sep 26, 2017

Making Sense of Suffering

I am no C.S. Lewis, A.W. Tozer, or Bible scholar. Nor do I profess to be on the same plain with even the least of the philosophers of old. I am simply saying I am neither in the major or minor leagues - not even among the little leaguers. But I do confess rubbing shoulders with the common kids in the neighborhood and on my block where I live. We’re just a bunch of unorganized sandlot players. Nevertheless, we have all the joys, hurts, and perplexities the aforementioned have.

One of the confusing issues in the game of life, for all the above parties, is making sense out of suffering. This deeply profound question has baffled mankind both in general and in particular throughout these long ages. “Why do good people suffer and bad people prosper?” David faced the same perplexing problem in Psa. 73. When he attempted to understand it he tells us it was too painful. Then he adds, “Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.”

God’s Word at times answers our questions fully, at other times only in part, and still at others not at all. We just have to wait. I’m sure Jesus’ mother and loved ones were puzzled watching the Man Christ Jesus suffer the way He did. Especially looking back on His kind, gracious, loving, and exemplary Godly life. But all was made clear later on by His own testimony and the writings of His disciples. IT WAS FOR OTHERS' BENEFIT, not His own, that He tasted the bitter dregs of that cup. And so it is with many of us and our own.

This is my personal opinion of only one facet of why the righteous suffer. It may be of some help in your own sufferings, or that of your loved one. I truly hope so!

“Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother.”
(Jn. 19:25)

“And Simeon...said unto Mary his mother...(Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,)  “
(Lk. 2:34-35)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...