Sep 3, 2017

Picture Perfect

It seems, from reading the Holy Scriptures, there is nothing more nauseating to God than when Christians strike a spiritual pose (Rev. 3:16, see context). It is so important for many to appear spiritual to the brethren. I think not so much because of peer pressure without, but just plain old pride within. Some spend the whole of their Christian life posing. An unconscious shot of a subject, I would imagine, is more natural and telling.

It is more important to this type of spiritual sham to be seen publicly before men than in secret behind closed doors with God. You can always spot them. They carry a trumpet everywhere they go. “...do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.” So says the greatest authority that ever lived!

I remember when just a young convert, after coming out of a prayer room, looking down and seeing dust on the knees of my trousers. Hoping people would notice this “spiritual” young man's pant knees, I left the soil in place, not realizing God was looking on his heart and not his knees. I’d like to think things have changed; I certainly pray it so. But knowing this young man as I do, the temptation is still there after all these many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...