Apr 7, 2018

Glorifying God

The Westminster Shorter Catechism says, “Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.” I’m aware some of my Baptist Brethren are against any form of catechism. But their hero, Charles H. Spurgeon, whom many love to flaunt as “The Prince of Preachers,” did not hold to their viewpoint. Speaking to his assembly, he said, “I am persuaded that the use of a good Catechism in all our families will be a great safeguard against the increasing errors of the times, and therefore I have compiled this little manual from the Westminster Assembly’s and Baptist Catechisms, for use in my own church and congregation.”

Now whether one agrees with the Catechism or not, I’m sure all will concede, this first statement is as classic and scriptural as you can get! I once heard an old preacher say, “To glorify God means to make Him look good.” This should be the goal of every created life, to lift up God in this world, even in what some would think mundane things like eating and drinking. As Thomas Watson, the Puritan wrote, “It’s the yearly rent we pay to the crown of heaven.” He goes on to say, “We glorify God, when we are God admires.” Every kind of beast glorifies God, “The beast of the field shall honour me” Only the human animal doesn't!

Let each of us follow darling David’s example, “I will praise thee, O Lord my God, and I will glorify thy name.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...