Apr 23, 2018

Shouts From the Back Pew

As a young preacher, I used to make light of those poor souls whose testimony was, “I will be happy just to be in heaven and stand in the back of the crowd.” I condescendingly thought of them as ignorant and ill-informed. But now, after threescore years walking with our Lord, I’m not so sure I disagree. Most all of us are prone to want to be noticed, to have our day in the sun, so to speak. I had mine and found it was not as hot as I thought it would be. Martyn Lloyd-Jones said before his death, “Nothing else matters but the fact that we were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world.”

I pray I will not be misunderstood as having a false humility, but for the past few years I have prayed the Lord will allow me to sit on the last pew in the back and on the last seat of that pew. Let me apply what Job said concerning a certain servant, “A servant earnestly desireth the shadow.” In past years I made much of our recognition and reward at the Judgment Seat of Christ. But now, as Abraham, I will settle for the old man’s reward, “The word of the LORD came unto Abram… I am thy ... exceeding great reward.” Or as A.W. Tozer writes, “Am I not enough mine own, enough mine own for thee?”

As a new convert I had the privilege of hearing that great gospel singer, Jack Holcomb, in a two-week revival. He told this story, and it goes with what I have been trying to get across. He was singing one evening at a convention of 5000. About halfway through the program there was such a shouting from the last pew in the hall that he had to stop and ask the ushers to deal with the individual causing the commotion. One of usher’s from the back said, “We can’t shut her up Brother Jack; it’s your Mom!”

Don’t worry about being in the last pew in Heaven, the loudest shouts can come from the back pews.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...