Apr 12, 2018

My Story Book

"They are written in the story of the book of kings.”
(2 Chron. 24:27)

How I remember my wife reading to our four children when they were small. She would take them up in her lap, and sitting in her rocker, would read to them from their favorite story books. I recall how attentive they were, and how they would hang on every word, as it were. You could see in their eyes how they were being transported in their imagination to that far off distant land she was reading about. How they looked forward to those times, even to the extent of pestering her to do so when other responsibilities were pressing their mother. But they always won out, knowing what a push-over she was. They knew she loved reading the stories to them as much as they loved to hear them.

As a child of God I have a favorite “Story Book”; but mine is not mythical, but factual. It’s Divine. Its words, characters, and events are all true. I get so excited reading it that more than often my heart burns within me. I enter into the stories so much so that at times I actually become a part of it; weeping, shouting, fighting, and praying along side my Blood-bought kin. But not only do I love reading it, I love telling it. As the old gospel song says, “I love to tell the story, for those who know it best seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.” As children upon our mother’s lap, it seems no matter how many times we have read, or heard it, it is always new and fresh. Like my children, who, when their mother had finished reading their favorite story for the umpteenth time, would look up at her and say, “Read it again Mommy; please, read it again!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...