Jul 28, 2018

Don't Forget the "So Great..."

The writer of Hebrews, refers to that greatest of all events in a Christian’s life as, “So great salvation.” All else in the Christian life is like tinsel on a tree. Everything hangs on that one thing. Once you have forgotten, “the hole of the pit [whence] ye are digged,” and those blessed punctured hands which dug us out of the filth and mire of the dunghill, we are left void of any real spiritual substance.

When the devil has been permitted to strip God’s child of everything, there is one thing that stays eternally intact: his salvation. I love the way hurting Habakkuk puts it, “Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither [shall] fruit [be] in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and [there shall be] no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.”

Martyn Lloyd-Jones wisely advises, when all around us, things get hazy and we’re uncertain, to come back to our one sure foundation. “Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner [stone], a sure foundation.” When the waters threaten to overflow us it is wonderful to feel that ROCK under you.

“I sink in deep waters,” cried a dying man. “All His waves and His billows go over me.” Then said the other, “Be of good cheer, my brother. I feel the bottom, and it is good.”

In front of my mobile home I have placed a large onyx stone with letters written in white, “Christ Is My Rock!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...