Jul 27, 2018

The Speaking Word


“As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.”
(Lk. 1:55)

A.W. Tozer has a book entitled, “God Still Speaks.” And He does, even in our day. Maybe not audibly, but most certainly factually. I am not speaking in the sense of the fanatical or mystical way, but the scriptural. God speaks to those who have their ears turned and tuned His way. “If any man have ears to hear, let him hear”  (Mk. 7:16).

The song writer had it right, “And He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am his own.” Many believe the first part, that He walks with us, but shy away from the latter part, that He talks with us. Think! How can you be sure of Him walking with you if He does not assure you by talking to you?

In John’s gospel chapter ten, Jesus tells us His sheep know His voice. And in chapter twenty, of the same book, it’s illustrated. Mary weeping at His tomb thought the man speaking with her was the gardener, that is, until He spake. He said only one word, “Mary,” and she recognized her Lord’s voice.

Holy Ann, an old Irish scrub woman, could miraculously read the Bible, but nothing else. Her employer teasingly showed her a newspaper in which the word "Lord," referring to a politician, was found. When shown, she recognized the word, but said, "This 'tis not speakin' of me Lord, for me heart does not burn within me when me reads it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...