Apr 24, 2020

HOW FAR HAVE YOU COME?

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."
(2 Cor. 10:12)

This past Easter Sunday I was able to drive (about an hour) to my son Andrew's home. We had a delicious meal followed by Holy Communion. I enjoyed so much seeing my daughter-in law, Sharon, along with my granddaughter, Glory Anna, and her four children-- especially being able to meet the newest, Phoenix Joy. 

As always, my son and I ended our time together discussing the scriptures and life itself. In the conversation, I commented on a principle I have incorporated into my life for some years now. That being, "You don't judge a person by how far they've come, but how far they have come from where they started." And I might add, taking into consideration the baggage they've had to tote all those miles; and also making inquiries to the conditions of the road and their personal circumstances. For instance, did they have a limp or need to use crutches? 

Some carnal saints who have magnified themselves against such people haven't even come far enough to break a good spiritual sweat themselves! There is a vast difference in taking a two-hundred mile journey in a 2020 Cadillac and driving it in an old clunker with threadbare tires.  Family and friends can sometimes be very cruel in judging loved ones. If the shoe were on the other foot, some would not have even started the journey; much less gotten behind the wheel of the rattle-trap. The next time you're in the presence of someone who has traveled a far piece with everything against them, and they're making it, how about an old-fashioned pat on the back.

"I find it always refreshing to rethink the story of the 'Tortoise and the Hare,'
from time to time."
(rds)

By An Old Disciple 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...