Jun 20, 2020

A FATHER TO HIS SPIRITUAL CHILDREN

"Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe: As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children, That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory. For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."
1 Thess.2:10-13

Coming from what one would describe today as a dysfunctional home (though we thought it normal) as well as the sinful life I came out of, I have never thought of myself as a good Christian father. Although I can honestly
say I did the very best I could, considering I never had an example in my upbringing. 

My dear mother used to say, "Don't send me flowers when I'm dead,” meaning if you're going to show any appreciation, do it while she was yet alive. This little quip came to my mind last week when waking from my daily nap time in my wife's plush La-Z-Boy recliner. 

It was pretty scary at the time, especially being alone. I woke with my tongue completely numb as well as my right arm. I laid still awhile, thinking that was it. But after a short time, it passed and I've had no more problems since. But at almost 87, with a previous heart attack, something is going to happen sooner or later.

Because of this experience, I want to throw my readers some flowers of appreciation, so to speak. I don't want someone else telling you how much I loved you; I want to do it personally!  Humanly, I don't know how I could have made it these last 19 plus years without The Journal and you readers; you have kept the Old Disciple going by your prayers, encouragement, and support.

I look back on over a 62-year ministry in which I have donned a few different hats: evangelist, pastor, missionary, teacher, etc. I have now come to see that more than anything else I have been an exhorter, Rom. 12:6-8.

My lifetime text has been, "And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only," Matt.17:8; And my philosophy, "If I can get a person to Jesus, everything will be alright."

As your spiritual father, I close with the old saint’s words, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth," 3 Jn. 1:4.

From a Heart Full of Love for Each of You,

Brother Sandlin

For what thanks can we render to God again for you, for all the joy wherewith we joy for your sakes before our God; Night and day praying exceedingly that we...might perfect that which is lacking in your faith? 
1 Thess. 3:9-10

By An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...