Jun 23, 2020

Everlasting Peace

“Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them.” 
(Ezk.37:26)

Paul tells us in Ephesians, chapter two, verses eleven through fifteen that this promise to Israel in the Old Testament is now in full force to us Gentile believers under the New Covenant. It is absolutely endless; it is forevermore, never to be altered or abolished. It is a peace now and forever.

This is the peace Jesus left to His followers before returning home to His Father. “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.”  Matthew Henry, commenting on this text says, “When Christ was about to leave the world he made his will. His soul he committed to his Father; his body he bequeathed to Joseph, to be decently interred; his clothes fell to the soldiers; his mother he left to the care of John: but what should he leave to his poor disciples that had left all for him? Silver and gold had he  none; but he left them that which was infinitely better, his peace. ‘I leave you, but I leave my peace with you. I not only give you a title to it, but put you in possession of it.’”

This peace is not the absence of storms, but in the midst of them. O, beloved, while all around the angry waves toss us, and the dark billowy clouds hide His blessed face, let us peacefully pillow our heads on His promise, “Let us pass over unto the other side…and they came over unto the other side.” 

By An Old Disciple 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...