Jun 10, 2020

His Commandments are His Enablements

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

(1 Jn. 5:3)

We are told God spoke to Ezekiel saying, “Stand upon thy feet.” Then the prophet records for us these words, “And the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and set me upon my feet.” Here we find God’s Commandments are His Enablements.

This, no doubt, is what Paul was attempting to get across when he penned, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” He understood if God willed it, then he could do it (Phil.2:13). God taught this truth from the beginning. In Genesis we find, “God planted,” but it was Adam who was to, “Dress and keep it.”

A dear handicapped preacher friend of mine used to say, “Can’t, is not in the handicapped dictionary”; neither should it be a part of a Christian’s vocabulary, when in reference to one of God’s Commands to him or her. If God commands us to jump, our reply should be, “How high?” When David was told by his Lord to do so, he said, “By my God have I leaped over a wall.”

"Give, O Lord, what Thou commandest, and then command what Thou wilt."
(St. Augustine)

By An Old Disciple



No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...