Jun 28, 2020

TO MARK OR NOT TO MARK?

"For who hath stood in the counsel of the LORD, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it?" 
Jer. 23:18

After C. I. Scofield, the author of the notes in the Scofield Bible, was converted, he visited a Christian business friend. On the man's desk lay a Bible with many marks in it. The novice said at the time, not knowing any better, he thought that was almost blasphemous. There are still some of that opinion. 

The Bible I used the last forty-plus years of my ministry, which my son Andrew now has, is full of highlights and notes. My youngest daughter Charity once commented, after leafing through it, "Dad, this looks like a coloring book." I just wish my life was marked with as many truths as found in its margins.

There was an evangelist years ago referred to as, "The
Walking Bible." That's our need today! Paul told the Corinthian Christians, "Ye are our epistle...known and read of all men: Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ...written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God..."

I have a saying I came up with some years ago, "The need of the hour is for large print Christians." Some boast in how many times they've gone through the Bible. I like Warren Wiersbe's comment on such a statement, "It's not how many times you've been through the Bible but how many times it’s gone through you!"

Years ago I had an old evangelist, Dr. John R. Rice, for a conference. After the morning service, waiting in his motel room, while he freshened up for lunch, I thumbed through his Bible. I mentioned him having no notes in it. He answered in that quaint little way he had, "No need to, if you're in it all the time.

By An Old Disciple

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...