Feb 4, 2019

OVER-THE-HILL SAINTS

“...mine age is as nothing before thee.”
(Psa. 39:5)

Generally speaking, whenever someone says about an old person, “They are over-the-hill,” they're rudely saying they’re old and no longer fit, attractive, or capable of doing useful work. Saints such as: Abraham, ninety and nine; Paul the aged; Barzillai, fourscore years old; Anna, in her nineties; Zacharias and Elisabeth, well stricken in years; and a great host of other senior saints recorded in the Holy Writ, obviously wouldn’t agree with the term. Someone forgot to tell them they were too old!

David knew that the “Ancient of Days,” has no problem with old saints, referred to by a number of today's disrespectful Christian youth as “ancient.” Our brief time on earth is nothing to our Eternal God in Heaven. When Bernard Baruch was asked, “When is old?” he replied, “Old age is fifteen years older than I am.” Caleb, at eighty-five, must have believed this; he was still climbing mountains as a octogenarian. I love what Caleb said to Joshua when he was dividing inheritances, “Give me this mountain.”

Someone has said, “It is magnificent to grow old, if one keeps young.” Well, I admit my flesh is old, but I still have a young man living within me, and his spirit doesn’t age. As Victor Hugo said, “Winter is on my head, but spring is in my heart.” A large number of Bible saints achieved their greatest victories in their advanced years. Their last years were their best years! These stalwart saints didn’t spend their last days in a rocking chair, but going forward with God! You know, “Onward Christian Soldiers.” 


“I can no longer soar like an eagle, as I did in my youth; nor can I run without growing weary, as I could in mid-life; but I can walk with my God in my old age, and not faint.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...