Feb 17, 2019

SINK OR SWIM?

"...according to the custom, as the duty of every day required."
(Ezr. 3:4)

An old preacher who used little quips to preach entire sermons, used to say, “Duties never conflict.” Three little words, but what a wealth of wisdom! If we ever needed to heed them, it’s today. After years in a busy ministry, I had to learn this great truth the hard way, as I have most things of importance.

Most of us busy bees have so many irons in the fire that, when it comes time for branding, we don’t even know which one to use. The frustration, anxiety, and confusion we experience, come from the fact, we have too much on our plate. Something can be good and right, but it’s not for us. Most of our burdens are self-imposed.

In God’s plan for each life, He leaves time for us to “smell the flowers.” It is not all work and no play. The Lord never puts on us more than we can carry. It is Satan who overloads us with the extra baggage. God has certain things He has ordained for us to accomplish—certain specific things. "Daily Duties," if you please.To go beyond these is to go beyond the will of God.

In my first pastorate, we went through a dire financial time. I prayed for two years, every day, but things only grew worse. Then the Lord revealed to me that if I would let go of my staff of five, it would solve any and all of the problems. But because of my affection for them (and some pride), I refused and held on. Finally, when I did submit, everything turned for the better. My life, my church, my home, and the lives of my staff, were all blessed.

Things we hold to are fine until they begin to sink us; then we must let go of them if we expect to survive. You know, "Let go, and let God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...