Apr 12, 2019

A GOD HONORING REQUEST

“And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.”  
1 Chron. 4:10

Jabez's request was a God honoring one; he was strictly concerned with the spiritual. It is apparent he loved God and hated sin. It can truly be said of him, “Thou hast given him his heart’s desire, and hast not withholden the request of his lips,” (Psa. 21:2) His interests were God’s interests!

Why is it many aren’t blessed as Jabez? Could the answer be, “Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts”? (Ja. 4:3) It seems to me the request of James and John’s mother, which was not granted, had the old flesh connected to it. (Matt. 20:20-21)

Job was wrong when wanting to die and saying, “Oh that I might have my request; and that God would grant me the thing that I long for!” (Job 6:8) Still, it is a noble desire when the motive is right. The difference between Jacob and Esau was one requested a blessing, the other pottage.

“An appetite for the spiritual will always be satisfied.”
(rds)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...