Jun 10, 2017

A Claustrophobic Christian

I tend to be claustrophobic, that is, I have a fear of being confined in an enclosed area. But not only do I have trouble in the psychological and physical realm, but also in the Spiritual sphere. One would be correct in saying that I suffer from acute Spiritual claustrophobia. I panic when I am restricted to one small cramped area of Christianity. I need elbow room; I need space to breathe. And I can’t do these within the bounds of legalism, denominationalism, and a restricted elitism. The body of Christ is bigger than these.

There was a very popular song in the 40’s entitled, “Don’t Fence Me In.” In the closing verse it says, “I can’t look at hovels and I can’t stand fences/Don’t fence me in.” That is my sentiment exactly! As the old-time evangelist, Gypsy Smith used to say, “I was born in a field; don’t try to put me in a flowerpot.” Well, I was born into the vast expanse of the Kingdom of God, don’t try and keep me within four walls. Israel was “boxed in” on all four sides, but God opened a way out. And he will for anyone who is willing to go it alone by faith.

“The only time I am not claustrophobic in confinement is when I am shut in with Jesus.” (rds)

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...