Jun 24, 2017

Don't Catch That Ball

Several years ago, my older son, Andrew, presented me with a small paperback book entitled, Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff. It is packed full of a variety of thoughts intended to help folk in their daily life. Although it is not Christian, it has many Biblical principles. One chapter, in particular, that has helped me tremendously is entitled, “If Someone Throws You The Ball, You Don’t Have To Catch It.”

One does not have to be a sports enthusiast to understand this quaint little saying, for whom among us, from youth to the aged, does not realize that once you catch the ball, you’re responsible to do something with it; and all eyes are upon you, whether they be participants in the same game, or those observing from the stands, to see what you will do with the ball.

How easy it is to be dragged into other people’s problems. I have a little saying, “When someone else’s problem becomes mine, then there are two with the same problem.” I have found in my own life, to my deep sorrow and regret, that getting involved in situations that do not concern me has taken the joy out of life. What an inward peace of soul I have experienced these last few years, when I’ve been tempted to be drawn into business not belonging to me, to say to myself, “I ain’t catchin that ball.” O, dear friend, let us learn not to catch that ball, if we’re not prepared to take the responsibility that goes with catching it!


You may be thinking, the above sounds good, but it came from a worldly philosophy. True, but I remind you of our Lord’s words, “The children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

JESUS-THE AFFLICTED HELPING THE AFFLICTED

By An Old Disciple On the Person of JESUS CHRIST "He is...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely He hath borne our griefs...